Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sunday Ride



Here is a screen shot of my Garmin page showing the data and map for a 73.5 mile ride I took over to a family reunion on Sunday, July 11th. Click on the image to enlarge it or go to my page at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40108167. Garmin says that I burned over 5200 calories though I fueled the trip with just 3 packs of Gu gel -the stuff must be potent -more sugar than I typically eat in a month. I stopped at my Mom's just past Canfield for about 45 minutes late in the morning and my quads felt pretty tight when I climbed back on my Trek 5200 for the last leg over to the picnic grounds where the reunion was held. I've had the Trek since 2001 though I recently added Speedplay pedals which work great with my new Sidi shoes. Much of the trip was on route 224 between Akron and Youngstown which wasn't too busy on a Sunday morning though the traffic that was present was flying. At one point, I was passed by a convoy of wide load trucks that were using about 2/3 of the pavement and all of the berm. Fortunately, they swung over for me so that I didn't have to bail into the ditch bordering the berm. Near Youngstown, there were some sections of teeth rattling washboard asphalt. The weather was wonderful - low 60's when I left the house just after 6 a.m. and low 80's by the time I arrived around 1 p.m.

No comments: